Friday, November 21, 2014

Thankful to be Anemic!

 
I never thought I would say this...but I am thankful to be anemic!  Let me explain why.
 
These past months have been brutal to my health.  After our trip to PEI, I thought I was feeling a bit more energetic, and my tummy issues were beginning to heal. But then about 5 weeks ago I really hit a rough patch.  My energy level plummeted to an all time low, the walls around me were spinning, I was lightheaded and dizzy, my head felt fuzzy and I had difficulty focusing or making decisions.  I had spells of shaking to the point I had to sit down.  I didn't feel like eating and all I could think about was when I could crawl back into bed. 
 
More blood work showed that my iron levels were very, very low.  However, everything else looked fine.  I swallowed more iron pills, drank more orange juice, and doubled the amount of meat I ate, and increased my consumption of anything high in iron.  Still I felt drained. 
 
I began to worry.  Like REALLY worry!  To the point of spending my days trying not to cry, consumed by fear.  As many of you know, I have a family history of intestinal cancer.  Some of the possible reasons for such a low iron level were an ulcer, gastritis, or worst case scenario...cancer in the intestines.  I freaked out!  I sent out prayer requests.  I was so incredibly scared! 
 
Thanks to all of you who prayed.  Amazingly, I was able to give it all to God...most of the time...and I had peace...most of the time.
 
However, I knew I had to book another doctors appointment.  I have the most amazing doctor, who knows my family history and is not willing to take any risks.  She ordered more labs just to be sure.  Once again, they came back perfect.  Whew!  I can now rest, assured that I am simply anemic!  Anemia most likely caused by my tummy issues and feminine issues...which I won't go into detail about!  lol!  I might lose some readers!  :)
 
So it may sound crazy to say I'm thankful to be anemic, but I really am!  Cause it could be something a whole lot scarier! 
 
I am slowly beginning to feel a bit better.  The walls spin less, I'm not as lightheaded and my appetite is better! 
 
To top it all off...I have the best of the best taking care of me.  It's an amazingly humble place to be.  My kids are great at reminding me to take my pills ( I was at a point where I couldn't even remember to take them).  The older kids have stepped up and are helping with more stuff around the house.  Morgun is amazing at watching the little kids. All of it is something sweet to behold!
 
But the guy that does the most, is this guy.
 
 
 
He has taken time off of work to drive us to appointments, cause it wouldn't have been safe for me to drive.  On the days when the walls were spinning extra fast, he has taken time off of work so I can rest.  And he has been going to work late every single day so that I can sleep longer in the mornings. He makes lunches, gets the kids breakfast, gets them started on their school work, does the dishes.  When he comes home in the evenings, he helps get supper ready and does the dishes again.  He bathes the kids and tucks them in at night.   Even though I know his income is less and that he worries about  that, that he worries about losing contractors, he worries about how he'll get all the work done that needs to be NOW... he still takes the time every day and hugs me, with a smile on his face and says it's ok...he doesn't mind...tells me he is so grateful to have me in his life and that this craziness is worth it!  And he really means it!
 
All I can do is nod as tears roll down my face, cause I am so grateful for his love, his willingness to go the extra mile, and for his constant encouragement!
 
PS: This sweet man will be incredibly embarrassed when he finds out I posted this.  He so prefers to be out of the spotlight and prefers to simply fade into his surroundings.  But for today, he'll have to suck it up, cause I can't help but shout to the world that he is the best husband ever!!!

No comments: