Monday, March 16, 2015

Beans n' Rice


Today Dairy Queen was offering free ice cream.  I had no intention of taking the kids because the nearest Dairy Queen is about a 25 min drive from us.  It really didn't make sense to spend more on gas than on what we would save with the free ice cream.  Or so I thought.  However, my very smart 13 year old was quick to remind me that the lovely town where we go skating each Monday recently opened a Dairy Queen.  So, after skating our hearts out we went for a free ice cream!  There's something about "free" that makes me smile!  How wonderful to be able to treat my kids to ice cream at no cost to me!! 

Anyhow, it reminded me that I have been meaning to post about one of the newer ways I have found to save $$$!!

As I've mentioned before, I'm always looking for ways to decrease our grocery bill.  All of our married life, we have eaten meat free meals about once a week.  Now that I'm trying to beat this anemia thing, I've had to double my protein intake.  So no room for too many meat free meals, unless I'm able to incorporate beans.
 
I've always wished I could make more meals with beans. Lots of beans. However, my kids have never been fond of beans...not any beans...not in anything.  But...being the mama I am, I have always made things with beans in them, insisting my kids always give it a try, and hoping that someday my kids would acquire a taste for them.  The same is true about rice...at least for my oldest 2 boys.
 
Anyhow, what happened while I was away at my Grandma's funeral is a truly amazing! 
 
Martin decided to make one of his favourite meals from his bachelor days...Beans n' Rice!  And believe it or not...it was a hit!!!  Not simply an
 "it's ok" kinda meal, but a big ole "we LOVE it!" kinda meal for my kids!!
 
Now, granted Martin added bacon.  As you know, that makes an inexpensive meal an expensive meal.  So, we opted to make the bacon a garnish.  Even with the bacon as a garnish, a meal for all 7 of us costs approximately $5.00!  It doesn't get much cheaper than that!  And it's loaded in all the protein my anemic body needs!

 
Here's the recipe....
 
Baked Beans
 
4 cups white beans
4 bay leaves
2 diced onions
2 tsp salt (or more as needed)
1 tsp pepper
4 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 cups molasses
1 1/2 cups ketchup
6 tbsp. brown sugar
1 bottle beer (optional)
liquid smoke to taste
water
crumbled bacon (optional)
 
Place beans in large pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes, making sure there is at least an inch of water above the beans.  Cover and let sit for 4-16 hours.  I usually soak the beans overnight.  The next morning, drain and rinse beans. Place beans in slow cooker and add all the other ingredients, making sure beans are completely covered with liquid. Cook for 6 hours and serve over your favourite rice. (If you find the beans are getting too dry and you didn't add enough water, simply add  more water as the beans cook.)  Garnish with a bit of  crumbled bacon.  Enjoy!
 
 
 


No comments: