Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Six Months With Our Precious Raina


Today we celebrate Raina's arrival in our family.  It has been 6 months since that emotional and special day...a day where words will never fully be able to describe the joy, tears and pure love!
Raina has grown in leaps and bounds.  She has grown 3 inches and gained 7 pounds.  She now weighs a hefty 26 lbs.  Needless to say, I can hardly wait for her to walk...my back is killing me!  :)  Not that I really mind.  Raina is sweet and I treasure every moment with her!  I cherish each little cuddle, hug, and slobbery kiss.
Raina continues to have almost everyone wrapped around her little finger.  Alex and Morgun are always begging to wake her from her nap, and they generally do not fuss if asked to do something that involves Raina.  Malia loves her little sister, but does get irritated when Raina gets into her "stuff", and when Raina gets all the attention.  Malia hits Raina on occasion, but she will soon realize it may not be worth it...Raina is beginning to hit back and is quite capable of hurting Malia...gotta love sibling rivalry...NOT!!  
Raina regularly asks "Papa?" first thing in the morning, and she squeals with delight when he comes home from work.  Martin has had to work hard to gain her approval.  She does not like men with facial hair and prefers her Mama. A few days ago, for the very first time, Raina reached for Martin even though another woman was holding her.  This is a huge step for Raina.  Up until recently, if Martin was holding her, she would gladly go to almost any other female.
Raina continues to have the occasional nightmare and still cries or becomes very sad when someone becomes angry or is disciplined.  When she is told "no" she will often hit the floor, or even herself in frustration.  She no longer hits us in the face (something her foster family allowed her to do), but does like to see what she can get away with.
Raina is very curious and explores every little thing/space she can possibly reach.  I am thankful, that for now, I still have the energy to keep up with her...good thing I'm not 40..yet! :)  (Yes, there is a bit of sarcastic humor in the "40" comment...many people in our community think we are too old or almost too old to have such a young child.  Oh, if only they had the energy I have!!! ;)  Or try to convince myself I have!)
Raina's language is developing on par.  Like any 18 month old, she only talks when she needs to.  She has too many older siblings talking for her!  lol!  She can say...papa, mama, bye-bye, yes, no, hi, out, mieha (more), Alex, milk, bottle, night night, teddy bear, among many other words.  She is beginning to babble in sentences although I have yet to figure out what she is saying, although most often I know what she is talking about because of her pointing.




Raina rarely sits still and this is usually what I am able to capture on camera
.

Raina can stand on her own for short periods of time...IF she forgets to hold on to something.  She is afraid of falling.  I think it is simply  because of her age...if she were younger that fear may not be as prevalent.  Raina loves it when we help her walk and is adjusting well to wearing her splint.  I have found one pair of beach shoes that sort of stay on her feet.  The splint is smooth and makes for a slippery surface to walk on which also hinders her from learning to walk.





Oh, Oh, I think it is time for lunch and a nap!




1 comment:

Paige said...

Such great pictures! It seems like she has been in your family longer than six months. I am glad she is warming up to her baba now too.