Monday, September 19, 2011

On Turning 40!!!



On September 15th, 1971 at precisely 8:03pm the world welcomed a sweet baby girl, weighing in at 9 lbs 7 oz.  She was named Marie, after her mother...or so they say. ( I think my parents simply ran out of names and resorted to the most obvious name!  :) 
I was the ninth child born to my 30 year old mother who must have groaned at the thought of having another baby.  Even her friends felt sorry for her and surprised her with a baby shower...unheard of in those days, especially for the ninth child! 

This is the earliest picture I have of myself ,at the age of 7 months.  Aren't I just the cutest?!?  My how time does change things!  lol!

  I grew up loving to play outdoors... in the sand box or dressing up our kittens, and occasionally playing with dolls. I gravitated towards real babies and always managed to hold any baby even at the young age of 7 and 8.  This is my grade 2 picture which is attached to my report card, placed there by my teacher.
 As the years passed I became an avid reader and read almost any book I could get my hands on...even those my mom did not approve of!  ;)  I giggled and talked my way through Sunday School and received many a scolding from my teachers.  I loved playing soccer and baseball, and was even known to slide into home base, and play tackle football...wearing a skirt non the less!!!  Oh what a sight!!!

As I entered the teen years I became an expert at sneaking out wearing pants under my skirt and then changing as I drove!  I have changed entire outfits behind the wheel!  Scary!!  I entered high school as a misfit and hated it, but went through the motions simply because I had a goal...to graduate!  I had few friends and spent many lonely hours by myself...nose stuck in a book.  I graduated from high school and somehow managed to look like the perfect lady!  Ha! Ha

As the years passed I learned to adjust to new churches, new friends, new jobs and new beliefs.  Every obstacle has made me stronger and more determined than ever to praise and worship our awesome God and focus on that alone. 
Now as I turn 40 a part of me feels like I should be wise..I should know more...but I don't!  I am who I am, and for the most part I love who I am and where I am at in my life...although I could do without those silly quirks,wrinkles, grey hair, and those extra dimples back you know where!!! lol!

Some say life begins at 40, while others say 40 isn't old...if you're a tree!  I am not bothered by the number and wonder when aging will begin to bother me.  I have decided to love my wrinkles, grey hair and the sags...because quite frankly...this IS as good as it gets!!



 You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
-Les Brown

4 comments:

Patrick and Christina said...

Hey, Happy birthday!

Hope you took the time to celebrate in a meaningful way. (I am right behind you with my own 40th in just a few months).

Love the quote!

Paige said...

I loved hearing more of your story... fairly similar to mine...

Let me say, you look great for 40. I think the years just get better and better!

I am not far behind you either!

Marie said...

Thanks ladies! I look at people my age and think they surely must look older than I do...until I look in the mirror! :)And Kathy, I would have LOVED to travel to VA...one of these days! I did not want a big birthday bash. We spent a quiet evening at home celebrating. We are planning a trip to Quebec City later this month for both mine and Martin's 40th, (even though his was several years ago...it was shortly after mom passed away and was not a good time to go anywhere)and for our anniversary. Can't wait!

Marie said...

No kids! Yah! We will only be gone for 5 days. I think that is long enough for Raina at this point. Oh, and are you offering to pay for the flights??? ;)