Sunday, May 31, 2015

My Garden 2015

 
 I planted my garden several weeks ago and most of it is coming up. We had frost 2 weeks ago, before my garden had sprouted so it only effected the tomato plants and some bedding plants...which I had covered!  We also had a touch of frost a few nights ago, but only a few of the beans took a hit. My garden is about double it's normal size due to this fantastic seeder!  I love this thing!  It literally cut the seeding time in half!
 
 
 

 
The kids wanted their to plant their own gardens as well, so with that I have about 6000 square feet of garden...and my rows are not far apart (other than for things like pumpkin and cukes)   And yes, the kids promised to care for their garden patches all on their own...here's to that actually happening!
 
 



 
I can't help but look at these pictures and think we really are that odd, homeschooling family that grows everything organic, and lives off the land! Honestly!  Who do you know that still cans or freezes all their garden produce?!? People have given me some pretty odd looks when they realize that all of our dill pickles, relish, spaghetti sauce, salsa, raspberry jam, and many other yummy foods come straight from our garden!   Haha!
 
We also planted 90 strawberry plants!  I'm really hoping they do well this year!  I'm hoping to have so many berries that the kids can pick them and sell whatever they pick.  Perhaps it will be a motivator for them too.
 
As for deciding what to plant...I planted all the usual...potatoes, carrots, corn, peas, beans, onions, lettuce, dill, beets, cukes, pumpkins (ornamental and for canning), zucchini, and radishes.  I also added several varieties of squash, kohlrabi, and a variety of herbs just for fun.  We still have some produce left from last fall...we have some potatoes left, lots of carrots, and some onions.  We finished the last of the corn and peas months ago, and the last of the beans several weeks ago.  So that means I really do need to harvest and can/freeze more produce!
 
Now to find a pea sheller???   I wish!!


3 comments:

Chantel said...

Haha, I love this Marie! In my books this is a great way to be "odd"!

Marie said...

Haha! Now we need to get our butts in gear and have more kids! lol!

Norberto said...

There is just something so incredibly special about growing your own fruit and veg. We recently bought a house specifically because it had a large garden. We did have to hire a gardening company to come and clean up the garden for us and to prepare the ground ready for planting, but it was worth it! We also grow strawberries!

Norberto @ Thorburn Landscapes