Wednesday, February 3, 2016

When a $15 Gift is HUGE!

I'm tired!  Tired to the core.  Almost every aspect of my being is tired.  My head is tired.  My heart is tired.  My body is tired.  But my spirit is filled with peace and gratitude!  I'll explain why in a bit...but first a bit of an update on Malia's last surgery.
Two weeks ago Malia had her surgery to release the tongue flap. 
She did an amazing job at being put to sleep.  No screaming.  No yelling.  No thrashing.
We discussed her last surgery; how she responded to being put to sleep.  We talked about how she could better handle it.  We talked about what we (as in mom, the anesthetist, the nurses) could make the whole procedure easier for her.  We came up with a plan.  No lying down.  Just hugging mom as the IVs were put in.  She cried a bit, but aced it!
The surgery went well, but once again it took longer than expected.  Long enough that the surgeon and anesthesiologist agreed it was best for Malia to spend the night in the hospital.
I wasn't prepared.  But I learned something...ALWAYS take your pillow along!  Seriously!  I can fall asleep almost anywhere...eventually...with my pillow!  I did manage to sleep a bit, inspite of housekeeping stomping into the room at midnight and making a loud ruckus as they cleaned the bed they didn't need for anyone!
A few days ago, Malia finally has some real food!  She couldn't keep from smiling!  She's been such a trooper!  For some reason it seems we make the best meals when she's on a liquid diet and can't enjoy the food to the fullest.  In reality, I think it's just that we notice how much she misses out on.
Well, one day we were having noodles, a dish that has a gross texture when blended, and Malia was having some other liquid food I'd prepared previously.  Out of the blue she announces..."Mom!  These noodles are soooo yummy!"  Everyone was quiet.  I was contemplating whether I should tell her the truth about what she was eating.  I decided to let her enjoy what she thought she was eating.  Then, in the complete silence, with a smirk on her face, she says, "Don't anyone ruin my day dream!"  Hahaha!  Love that girl and her wacky sense of humour!!
Today was yet another day spent in the hospital.
This time it was for Wren, to have her dental procedure done.  Our dentist strongly recommended she be put to sleep as the procedure would have been very traumatic for her.  Think 11 years of plague, 2 teeth pulled due to being very infected, filling 3 teeth, scaling, etc. 
It was day surgery, so after 7  hours in the hospital, we went home!
Wren was a star!  She was so worried, but aced it like a pro.  She kept asking if the medical professionals would be "he or her".  She REALLY wanted only females.  Wouldn't you know it...every single person in the OR was male!!  She whimpered as she fell asleep, and I could hardly stand the look of fear in her eyes.  But I was so glad I got to talk to her and do my best to calm her fears as she fell asleep. 
Wren is in a bit of pain, but managed to have a smoothy for supper.  Her lips are very swollen and sore.  She is tired, but happy to be home!  I couldn't be more proud of our precious girl!!
And now onto why my spirit is at peace and oh, so very grateful!
While we were registering at the hospital, I was informed that Wren's health card is inactive.  She has a health number.  It was active a month ago.  Apparently Sk health does not have all the documents they need.  I was extremely annoyed!  I already know to send a copy of EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT I have!  I did that 2 weeks after arriving home.  Then we got a letter saying they didn't have the necessary documents.  I emailed the necessary documents a few weeks ago.  Checked to make sure the email had gone through.  And assumed Wren's health card would be reactivated.
Well, it's not reactivated.  
So I called Sk Health, only to be told they still didn't have the necessary documents.  I know they have them.  It's a matter of someone taking the time to actually look at the entire document and not simply assume that because some of the pages only contain Chinese characters, that they don't have the document they need!
Anyhow...that meant I had to pay the hospital fee.  I already knew I would be dishing out $1,000-$1,500 for the dental work.  What I didn't know is that I would have to dish out an additional $1,100+ for hospital fees!  My heart sank, but I did what needed to be done, and put it on my visa.
And then....on our way out, I went to pay the $15 for all day parking.  The machine wouldn't take my visa.  In fact it wouldn't take anyone's visa.  I moved aside to let the gentleman behind me pay...a man that happens to be the husband to our local MP.  His card didn't work either, so he paid his $2 with cash.  I decided to try to pay outside as I left the parkade. 
Well, as I left the building, I heard someone call my name.  I turned around to see the same gentleman.  He suggested I take his paid parking stub and he'd take mine.  I shook my head and said no.  I said it didn't make sense for him to pay $15 when his had only been $2 and I didn't have any cash on me.  He argued that he needed to go back into the hospital, and if I didn't take his already paid card, he would have to leave the parkade, come back for another ticket, and pay again.   I shook my head in bewilderment, got all emotional, and we exchanged cards.
I tried to express what his gift meant to me...that he had no way of knowing how much it meant to the tears came.
 I introduced him to our newest daughter and he gave me a big ole hug! 
M. B you may never know how big a gift you gave me today!  But thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
This hospital of ours is a beauty, but here's to hoping we won't see you again for at least another month!!

No comments: