Saturday, February 27, 2016

Squash Recipes

I've been meaning to post some squash recipes since fall.  This past summer was the first time I branched out from the traditional pumpkin and zucchini.  I added about 8 varieties of squash; with butternut, buttercup, and spaghetti squash being the ones that produced the most.  I didn't have the brain power or energy to try to figure out how to dry them in the sun so that I could store them in our root cellar all winter. (I'll definitely be trying that next fall).  So I baked and pureed most of my squash.
 
My all time favourite recipe so far is this one...
 
Southwest Squash Soup
 
1 medium butternut squash
1 medium onion
2 tbsp. butter
6-8 cups chicken broth (I prefer to use the drippings left over from turkey or chicken)
3 tsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I don't add this because a few of my littles don't like it too hot)
dash of pepper
sour cream to garnish.
 
Clean and cut squash in half.  Discard seeds.  Place face down on tinfoil lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 till soft.  Puree in blender with a bit of water, until smooth. Saute onion in butter (I use my soup pot...less dishes to wash!) and add remaining ingredients.  Cook for 30 minutes.  Garnish with sour cream and a dash of cayenne pepper!
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
My kids love this version of Mac n' Cheese and so do I...not only because it's nutritious!  It's super moist and delicious!  I prefer to use real cheese rather than Cheez Whiz or some other processed cheese.  However, if your family is accustomed to eating it that way, I'd probably stick with it.  They may find the slight squash flavour overwhelming.  My kids didn't notice it until I told them it had squash in it! 
 

Mac n' Cheese With Butternut Squash
 
1 small butternut squash
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cups milk
pinch of grated nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 pound macaroni
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 tbsp. parmesan cheese
 
Bread Crumb Topping
 
1/2 -1 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
enough olive oil to moisten bread crumbs
 
 
Prep squash as mentioned above.   Add chicken stock, milk, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and squash in a pot.  Then cook macaroni in a separate pot as per instructions and add to squash mixture. Add both cheeses.  Transfer to a baking dish.  Mix bread crumb toppings in a separate bowl and sprinkle evenly over noodle mixture.  Bake until crumbs are lightly browned.




No comments: