Thursday, September 2, 2010

Peaches and Strawberries

School started last week Thursday, and I thought my life would become a little less hectic. That has not happened. Fall canning is at its peak and I have been working like a mad woman. I canned 100lbs of peaches for a grand total of 84 quarts. I still have 4o lbs of peaches in my cold storage waiting to be made into jam, although some will be for breakfast, snacks, and lunches. Yesterday my sister Eve and I went to the Strawberry Ranch south of Saskatoon. I had not been there since I was a teenager. I normally pick my berries at a local strawberry farm, but one shut down and the other was flooded this spring. I had hoped my relatively new strawberry patch would produce enough fruit this year, but over half of my plants died due to the harsh winter. In about an hour we picked 11 pails. . .5 for Eve and 6 for me. I froze 5 pails and the other is for fresh eating. Malia had fun eating berries, and was sticky and dirty by the time we finished.


1 comment:

Paige said...

Wow, you are one hard working woman! That is a lot of canning! But what could be better... Those strawberries do look really good.