Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Raina's Progress

Raina had her first cast placed on January 31, 2010.  This is what her foot looked like at the time.


The original cast has been removed and replaced 5 times.  Each time the foot is manipulated a little farther.  At each appointment Dr. Dzus stretches the foot prior to casting.  Raina screams and cries every time.  This last appointment was particularly brutal.  Her whole body shook in pain while the foot was stretched.  I have asked the doctor if Raina is in pain or if she is just angry.  The doctor said she was just angry...I disagree.  I'm strong when it comes to these kinds of things, and generally will agree with the doctor, however, I do know my child and I know without a doubt that she was screaming in pain!  Once a new cast is in place Raina settles quickly, but does not have a very good nights sleep for the first night, with the second night being a little better.  I think this is in part due to pain and partly due to the cast being very cold.  The cast is cold until it dries completely which usually takes about 12 hours, at least according to my uneducated guess...after about 12 hours the cast is no longer cold, and Raina is able to sleep a lot better.
Martin joins me for these appointments when he can and can hardly bear to listen to all the other kids crying, let alone his own baby girl!  I know it is perhaps best to go on my own, but it sure is nice to have someone watching Malia, and to have the support.
We have a date set for Raina's surgery, April 12, at which time her heal cord (Achilles tendon) will be snipped.  After the surgery the foot will once again be casted for about 3 weeks.

I am continually amazed at how quickly Raina's little foot is being corrected.  This is what it looks like now.



The little wrinkles on Raina's foot will most likely always remain, at least some of them.


Playing with those cute little toes!

2 comments:

Paige said...

That is all very interesting. I agree that it is a pain cry, not a mad cry. These littles ones have such big things to go through! Her feet are looking great and I know a great plastic surgeon who could get rid of those wrinkles when and if she decides she doesn't want them!

Marie said...

Hmm, I wonder who that plastic surgeon would be!?! :) That would be a great excuse to go to Edmonton and finally meet you!
Kathy, after the surgery Raina will be casted for the last time, for about 3 weeks and then she will wear a brace, during the day, for a year. She will also need to wear a brace (similar to what Uncle Peter and Uncle Joe wore) for night for the next several years.