Saturday, February 4, 2012

Haiti-Day One and Two

We arrived in Haiti after a 5 hour delay in Saskatoon and a looong night spent in various airports.  I instantly loved the wonderful warmth in the air.  However, the thrill of warmth soon evaporated when I saw our mode of transportation.  We were loaded onto a truck, known as the cattle truck.  We all looked at each other and said "Seriously?  We're ALL suppose ride in this?  With all our luggage?"  The answer was " Yes!"  I didn't get a good picture of the loaded truck, but here it is...minus 20 large suitcases and many carry-ons.  We fit, but we had to stand for the hour long drive up the mountain on narrow, winding, bumpy roads...dodging low hanging branches and wires!


 

Our first view of a tent city...there are no words to describe this scene.


The wind whipped in our hair as we travelled through dust and exhaust.  My hair felt like a matted rats nest by the time we reached our destination.






Most of the debris has been removed and rebuilding has begun...



...but this is what was on the other side of the street.




I remember my mind being a mumble jumble of thoughts and emotions and I'm not sure if I will ever be able to put my thoughts, feelings and experiences to paper...but I will try.  Here is what I journalled on our second day...

Arriving in Haiti was something I could not have prepared myself for.  I knew a lot about Haiti...who doesn't?  Especially following the devastating earthquake in 2010.  I knew it is a third world country and is VERY poor with a huge need for Christ.  I knew many of the stories of the children at God's Littlest Angels.  All of that knowledge did not prepare me for what I experienced.

I saw the emptiness in peoples eyes...the look of lost hope, devastation, and despair...something I was not prepared for.  I don't think there is a way to prepare for that.

We met the kids at the main house.  Wow!  What an experience!  The continual sound of babies crying and the stench of diarrhea.  Babies with runny noses.  I didn't care...I held them and cuddled them anyway.
We cleaned the laundry area today along with the bedroom for 2 teenagers who used to live on the street.  As we cleaned I slipped upstairs several times to check on one of the babies Susan Westwood had blogged about.  The third time I went to see her, I walked in to see Susan and Lisa gently bathing the baby.  It took awhile to realize the little one had passed away.  It hit me like a ton of bricks...one never forgets the smell of death.  (You can read the full heart wrenching story on Susan's blog on the GLA website)

I got to cuddle many babies, all whom I would take home in a heartbeat!  I have had to pull myself together WAY too often today...


What I didn't journal about...I simply could not...was a beautiful lady I met.  She walked, smiled and even looked like my mom!  She had a mischievous personality, walking up behind us girls as we cleaned, and tickled us...something my mom would have done.  I could hardly look at her without bawling...just the sight of her still makes me cry...

1 comment:

Paige said...

It really puts our lives into perspective doesn't it??? How wealthy we are? How much we have? How much we take for granted? It is heartbreaking...