Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Simple Question

How can one phone call be so difficult?  It should not have been difficult at all.  No one was hurt or in danger, and yet I procrastinated...an entire week!  All I had to ask was "Would you mind coming to Malia's "Grandparents Day"?" I knew what the answer would be... of coarse the answer was "Yes!  I would gladly attend!"  But...it just seems so unfair that my kids have no grandparents to attend recitals, tournaments, and Grandparents Day.  Yes, they do still have Martin's parents...but they are old...and hard of hearing...and can hardly understand English anymore.  It would be difficult to find a ride for them.  They would feel uncomfortable and out of place.  So we resort to finding a loving aunt or friend to fill that gap...and yet it is never completely filled.   I hurt for my kids...being the only ones without Grandparents...are they going to feel left out?... or worse...unimportant?  Will it be a reminder of all they have lost?  Will they grieve, as I do, on those occasions when a loved one's absence is felt so strongly?...probably not...but still I cry...and feel a tad bit cheated...
I know that  tonight I will hold my kids a little closer, pray a little more...and thank God for people like Auntie Jean and Auntie Ruth!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Thanks Kathy! I feel so inadequate at times. I should mention that Ruth G is volunteering...you may have had the wrong Ruth in mind.